Porto Moniz

Porto Moniz, situated on the North Western tip of Madeira, was originally named Ponta do Tristão after the headland and only renamed in 1577 to its current name. Because of its sheltered harbor from the Ilheu Mole the village was once a major whaling center in the nineteenth century, Porto Moniz changed with a great impact of tourism in the late twentieth century and is now a thriving wine growing and fishing region.



View Larger MapView Larger Map - courtesy of maps.google.com

Comments are closed.